Saturday, May 12, 2018

SDVoyager Interviewed Me!!

SDVoyager interviewed me and I couldn't be happier! Check it out!

http://sdvoyager.com/interview/check-erica-putiss-artwork/


Today we’d like to introduce you to Erica Putis.

Erica, we’d love to hear your story and how you got to where you are today both personally and as an artist.
Sure! I would love to. I grew up in Vermont and spent many hours walking around the 20 acres my family owned. Because it was a small town I learned to entertain myself and much of that time was spent creating. I would make jewelry, Barbie clothes and drawings and try to sell it to my fellow 3rd graders. I suppose my Mom instilled an entrepreneurial spirit in me since she had started and owned many businesses her whole life.

I studied art, music and theater in high school and decided to follow music and theater into college. It was in college that I joined my first band. It was intoxicating and I spent the next 15 years of my life singing and playing bass in a number of bands on the East and West coast. I continued to create art but it wasn’t until 2011 that I started to really paint again.

After I moved to San Diego in 2005 with one of my bands I also created a clothing company called, www.nuclearclothing.com. During that time I was involved with many runway shows and photo shoots. I fell in love with makeup artistry and started to create my own, all natural products, www.nuclearmakeup.com. But, when I started painting again in 2011 it became obvious that art was becoming another new passion for me so I created an artist page, www.ericaputisart.com and slowly switched my time and energy from music/fashion to painting. I still create music solo music, www.julicadann.com and collaborate with some musicians but purely for fun.

Because of my inquisitive nature to experience all creative things I decided to start writing and in 2015 published my first book. I wrote a young adult fairy tale and it was so rewarding I started a novel. All of the websites I have mentioned (I know, there are a lot), I am still excited about and working on, but www.ericaputis.com is where everything is linked and where I post about my writing activities.

In 2016 I became the curator for La Playa Gallery in La Jolla Shores, CA and I just love this job. It lets me connect with local artists in a way that is so refreshing and rewarding. Being an artist, I have an inside view on the needs of the San Diego art community, the unique qualities of each individual artist we feature and I feel honored to be a part of it. I love shedding light on our vibrant art scene and continuing this new creative movement in SD. I can only hope that what I create personally, and as a curator, adds to this community in a positive way.

We’d love to hear more about your art. What do you do you do and why and what do you hope others will take away from your work?
When I started painting again in 2011 I was using it as a tool to get through an emotional period in my life. Needless to say it worked and my love of art came rushing back to me. I also found the skills I had acquired in high school never went away so my attention to detail started to take shape again. The reason I didn’t go to college for art was that I felt I lacked imagination since all I could do was copy photographs. But as an adult, (well… kind of an adult) I wasn’t afraid to experiment with paint anymore. Perfection was no long a goal as most people find out with time. So, yes, I always want my finished piece to look good but the process was more important now. It wasn’t about if people liked it or not, it was about if I liked it and felt a connection with it. Not needing approval of others is incredibly empowering.

I create because I can. I don’t really have a specific style and I know that is often looked down upon, but I feel life is too short to limit myself to just one style or subject. There are so many amazing, beautiful things in the world that inspire me and to limit myself feels like a disservice. So I have many different series in different mediums. I love painting with oils and acrylics. I love working with fibers and weaving. I love sculpting from clay, foil or plaster. I love making wearable art as in jewelry, clothes or skin care. I find it impossible to narrow it down to one medium or subject.
I suppose it all comes down to my love of nature and science. I find beauty in a simple leaf, the structure of an atom or in a devastating tornado. Socially, I find myself in a love/hate relationship with humans that is also portrayed in my work at times. This little planet we live on is so inspiring, terrifying and beautiful that I try to find a balance between them. It’s difficult, but when I find that balance it makes the world we live in easier to understand and that much more enjoyable.

What do you know now that you wished you had learned earlier?
I have been teaching art for a few years and my only real advice is… make sure you are having fun. It’s SO important. If you aren’t enjoying yourself then why are you doing it? Life it too short do to things that make you miserable, whether it be a job, bad relationship or creating something.

Specifically, with art, don’t worry about how it looks when you are done. Creativity is like a muscle. The more you work it out and practice the better you get. Everyone can create. You just have to give yourself a chance get better. Natural born talent can only get you so far. Practice and you will get better. And even if you don’t practice a ton… just have fun. DONE!! Haha.

Do you have any events or exhibitions coming up? Where would one go to see more of your work? How can people support you and your artwork?
You can see my artwork at http://www.ericaputisart.com. If you want to see the other projects I work on feel free to visit www.ericaputis.com. Supporting my work would be to buy it! I need to pay bills too you know! Haha...
Contact Info: