Thursday, March 27, 2008

Eating KFC is better than cooking it


There is this commercial on tv for this local culinary school that drives me fucking batshit crazy. They have these actors, musicians, comedians and dancers that come on the commercial showing what they can do but kinda making them seem like they are not that good, and then telling you if you are creative to not follow your dream but fucking take a class to become a cook. Fuck you dude!! I get so aggravated that this commercial is telling creative people to give up on their dreams and to become a cook because it makes more money. Might as well just have my mom on TV saying I should marry a rich doctor. And I'm not in any way saying that cooking is not creative... Because if you are into that, then it's very creative, but to say that there is a slim to none chance of you making money on your real dream is really fucking shitty. There are so many people in the world right now not doing what they want because of money, and to have this commercial put down creative jobs for a better paying creative job is lame.

I guess when I talk to my mom and she tells me she wishes she had become a psychologist instead of a secretary it kinda hits home. Her mom told her to become a secretary like her sister because it makes good money and is steady. And now - she is almost at retirement age and still trying to decide what she wants to do for a living. We live in the U. S of A and we have the freedom to pick what we want to do for 40 hours a week, every day, in and out, for our entire lives. Why not take advantage? So you have to give up Starbucks coffee and can only buy one drink at the bar, I think it's a pretty fair trade considering you spend most of your life working.

So get up off your lazy ass and do what you want. Not what the commercial tells you to do. Unless it's getting some KFC, because, lets be serious... that shit looks awesome. Ummm....

Erica (the motivational speaker)

9 comments:

Gregg O'Connell said...

i dont drink coffee or alcohol so i could go after my dream of being a fighter pilot in the air force now by your rules of freedom!!

done im joining the military!

Heather said...

Way to go!!! Eat those drumsticks!

Jay said...

I know many people who make a lot of money, but are miserable because of how much they hate their jobs. But, since they have huge mortgages and car payments and all that stuff they're stuck. Sucks for them I guess.

Erica AP said...

Gregg: I'm not sure what you are talking about. It just sounds like you are again, try to express how you think you are sooooo different because you don't drink coffee or alcohol. Get a life!!!

Heather: No drumsticks for me!! I'm all about the chicken strips, baby. :)

Jay: I know. It's sad and I hope I can someday do what I want full time. I'm working on it!!

M@ said...

As a professional cook, I find your ASSertations highly offensive, Erica A.P.

I'll have you know I studied for 12 years at three of the finest culinary centers in the world, including the New England Culinary Center for the Arts. It was there, at NECCA, that I met the great Rene Rousseau, who taught me that to cook is like making love to a beautiful woman: you must make haste but take care not to spill the broth.

Following my studies, I worked briefly as a television actor and clothing-line designer until I could land work at one of New York's finest restaurants in mid-Chinatown.

Seriously, fuck you, Erica A.P. Think you're so hot and know everything!

Erica AP said...

M@: I have to say that I think this is the closest comment I've ever gotten that sounds like maybe hate mail?? I've been wanting it for so long and I'm happy you brought it. Anyway if you re-read my entry it will say that if you are into cooking, then, yes, it is highly creative, but if you are not, it's shitty to say you should do it for the money. I am someone who hates to cook but is creative. I have very much respect for the chefs in the world but I hate someone telling me that I should do it because I won't make money from music. Hope this clears things up for you Mr. Animal and I hope if we ever met that you would cook for me. You know, because I deserve it... and because I'm hot and all. :)

Mr. Bud said...

huh. That's what I read, ms. Erica. I mean if the ad had been about professional sheep shearing school, I'm sure that would have been the topic.

my dream job is to be the guy that sits on the auto assembly line that screws the little plastic caps on the tire valves.
and get $80K plus bennies for about 5 hrs of work.

i'm scratching my way up the ladder. cause it's all about the big doe for zero work thing.

Erica AP said...

Mr. Bud: That's what I say too. My job consists of me sitting at a desk answering phones and going on the internet. Can't really get much better than that. I hope, for you, that you get that job and work the hell out of it. :)

Phronk said...

As a psychologist I find this post highly offensive!

I don't really know why...I just saw the word "psychologist" and felt like being offended.

But seriously, I agree with all this. People gotta do what they love and stop worrying about money. Happiness is the real currency, man. And we've only got one life to live, so we shouldn't waste 40 hours a week of it on something that doesn't make us happy.