Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Soul Train Fever


In high school I might have been obsessed. Just slightly... with disco music. What? That wasn't hip back in the day??

Well, in my book it was. My friends and I would cruse around in my parents 5th Avenue gold Chrysler. This was not a normal Chrysler... It was a freaking boat on wheels. That thing would guzzle gas like a Lincoln SUV and you could go 60 miles an hour feeling like you were going 20. Not only was the paint job appropriate but the tape I popped in was too. For some strange reason I found a 70's disco tape that I just couldn't stop listening to. All of the greats were on it and I forced, I mean, encouraged my friends to enjoy it too. We would all hop in (you could easily fit about 10 people in it although I only had 3 friends) and we would drive all around the little back roads in Vermont like the pimps that we were. If only we had those jumper/bouncy things on the car we could have been in a Snoop Dog video. (I was a hippy though, so I had no fucking clue who that was) I would turn on my favorite disco fever song "Ring My Bell" and the shoulder dance took over. The shoulder dance had it's own zip code if you know what I mean. What? You don't know what that means??? Well then you are just a dumb ass. Plain and simple... Haha... Just kidding!!! Please don't stop reading... I NEED you!!! Haha...

So I got home the other night and, yes, it was late, and yes, I may have had a drink or two, and yes - I am a rock star. What? (Sorry - wishful thinking that makes me think it's ok to drink often) I turn on the TV and what pleasure do I get to watch??? Well, I was just thrilled to find an actually real rerun of the 70's dance show, "Soul Train". That's right. I was so fucking excited about the afros, 70's clothes and disco music that I actually took pictures of myself dancing some Saturday Night Fever shit and I took about 100 pictures of the television. (Has anyone ever taken a picture of the TV? Not so good - but it's not like I can go down to the club and take a picture of a rocking, soul lovin' homey with rad (I never say "rad") hair and polyester suit to boot) So I settled for the next best thing... Do you blame me?

Anyway, I guess it all comes down to my idea that I was reincarnated. Yup. You heard me right bitch!! Rein-fucking-carnated. I, for some reason, think I'm so connected to the 70's because I died in the 70's from a drug overdose. That would explain why I don't do any drugs now and I love the music and clothes. Because if you know anything about reincarnation it's that you learn something every life. Haha.... god - I love being so knowledgeable. And I'll have you know that alcohol is not a drug. At least that's what I tell myself.

So revel in the wonders of the 70's and praise the reincarnated God because you never fucking know who is going to be driving that pimped out gold Chrysler.

For shizzel my nizzle,

Erica

24 comments:

Queen of Dysfunction said...

Whoa, did you just invite the entire blogosphere to schizzle your nizzle?

Steven Novak said...

The 70's gave us ABBA.

They can't be all that good.

Nuff' said. ;)

Steve~

Erica AP said...

QofD: Oh no!!! I don't even know what that means!!! Please teach me the wonders of the Snoop Dog language...

Steve: Yes - ABBA is quite awesome but I'm surprised you like them. Or are you just mocking me??? You did call me lame yesterday. :)

Gregg O'Connell said...

Erica: what does Stowie do while you're taking photos of the TV?

Erica AP said...

Gregg: Hummm... I don't know. I'm usually too rapped up in my artistic photo taking to notice. He's probably ignoring me like usual. :)

James Burnett said...

Ha! That gold Chrysler. My folks had a K Car station wagon. I was pathetic. But Soul Train rocked. I learned cool from Don Cornelius.

Erica AP said...

James: And I learned cool from you. :)

Ashley said...

Is KC and the Sunshine band disco? I love them

Erica AP said...

Ashley: I'm pretty sure they are. If I heard their tunes I'm sure I could tell you. Hail to 70's disco!!!!!

Travis said...

I bow before your disco might

Erica AP said...

Travis: And that you should. As should everyone else.

Julianne B said...

i know the exacte car... my friend in high school had one and we cruised around in after school.. man that thing was a bitch to play cat and mouse in.. you couldn't hide that car anywhere it was so big.

Freddie said...

I think "Ring My Bell" was my favorite song when I was about 8.

Erica AP said...

Julianne: What's cat and mouse?? It sounds like the grown up version of cops and robbers...

Freddie: Hell's yeah. I jump and dance around my room like an 8 year old when that song comes on. :)

Queen of Dysfunction said...

Erica, I don't have enough melanin to know the Snoop Dogg language. I was asking for a translation.

Erica AP said...

QofD: I think I'm more white than you so I have no idea either. I just say that stuff to sound cool. Did it work? Haha...

Queen of Dysfunction said...

Of course it worked. You're one cool cat.

...did that sound cool or dorky? I meant that you're cool. Crap, crap, crap...

Erica AP said...

QofD: Anything that comes out of your mouth is cool. No questions asked. Done deal. Sealed with a kiss. Zipped up. End of story. End of the road. End of me being cool...Haha...

Dan said...

The way reincarnation "works" is ... if you were really awesome in your lifetime you get to move up (sort of like the Jeffersons and shit). But if you sucked big time, you move down.

People who die from drug overdoses are probably stupid to begin with. And since they totally screwed up by overdosing, they would move down when they are reincarnated.

Do you really want to believe that you're a step lower than a loser drug addict who was stupid enough to overdose? In other words, if you, like, become a monk and meditate all day, you may work your way back up to a loser drug addict stupid enough to overdose.

Are you following me? Good, because I like when you follow me. :)

Erica AP said...

Dan: I catch your drift but I believe otherwise. I think that if reincarnation was real, that each life, you learn a lesson and become a better person. To the point were you would eventually live like the zen monk you talk so highly about. And then maybe they disappear into energy or a higher level... Like the Mayans. You catch my drift?? Haha... If not maybe read The Celestine Prophesy. It may be a little fruity at times but it made me think - and if nothing else it's a good read. Thanks for your words of wisdom oh wise one!!! Are you a monk?? :)

Blondie said...

Hydraulics!

lol. "Jumper/Bouncy things"

You slay me, nizzle.

Erica AP said...

Blondie: Haha... Hydraulics!!! Of course... I could have looked it up but I was too lazy... Haha... Thanks for your knowledge. A country girl like me needs all she can get. :)

Brooklyn Frank said...

i hear disco's making a comeback, actually.

Erica AP said...

Brooklyn Frank: Really? Nice! I'm in and I'm going to be the coolest chick on the dance floor.