Monday, December 18, 2006

Strutting Your Stuff


I'm the coolest. Really... I feel really cool. I'm walking down the street in the hip area of the city and I've got my shades on, high heels and rockin' music pumping in my ears. That's right - I'm in my own music video. Actually, not my music video but a music video where this girl is walking down the street and everyone looks at her and thinks, "She is SO cool..."

Alright, enough of my little fantasy. I guess sometimes I just get rapped up in the feeling that headphones give me.

You (meaning me) are sitting in a office all day and on your lunch break you put your little ear piece thing in your ears (or big bulky headphones because the little white ipod one's don't fit in your small ears - damn Ipod... But I love my genes - my ears won't be the size of my face when I'm 80). But you still feel cool because your favorite song comes on and you've never seen the video for it on MTV so you open the door to the world and the video begins. The walk starts and the John Travolta walk from Saturday Night Fever takes over and you are strutting yourself like the new winner from Top Model. No one can hold you down. "no body gonna breaka my stride - no body gonna slow me down - oh no... I've got to keep on movin'!" Anyone??? My Mom used to love that freakin' song.... Back to reality (my music video)....

You find yourself at a gazebo and you sit down in the sun. The music turns to a sentimental song and your emotions flow like chocolate over a fondue fountain. The breeze blows right when the song hit the emotional peek and you think you've found heaven... Serenity, music and nature...

No? This doesn't happen to everyone? There's no heaven with a music video with America's Next Top Model eating from a flowing chocolate fondue?? What the fuck? Who exactly is ruining this dream for me? The model who won't eat or John Travolta because he's pissed at me for stealing his thunder because he's just too old and fat now?

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's real or not. In my head it feels awesome that I'm in a rocking 80's video. I just want to thank the person who invented headphones. They are a fucking genius and deserve a gold medal... Or a Nobel Prize or something.... How about one of those old Smurf dolls??? They have got to be worth something, right?

My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
I gotta wear shades,

Erica

31 comments:

Gregg O'Connell said...

"i wear my sunglasses at night so i can so i can"
dude i do music videos at my desk at work or in my car...i start bobbing my head and screaming into my fist which is the microphone..haha

Erica Putis said...

Now I understand why you think you are a rockstar... It all makes sense.

QofD said...

The only reason that your heaven may be ruined is because Travolta sets his Scientology seraphim on you to keep you from getting in... outside of that you are all good.

QofD said...

...and has anyone else noticed that Gregg's new photo looks like a Hillsdale-inspired glamour shot?

Erica Putis said...

QofD: I was wondering why I had an urge to try to move my waterbottle with my mind.

And Gregg is a weird one - you should expect strange pics from him.

Helen said...

I think that I am in a music video all the time. And I agree, headphones are a great invention!
Helen

Erica Putis said...

Helen: Always in a music video? Man - I want your life. :)

James Burnett said...

You're lucky. My music video's not done. We're stuck on the set. And every day a different actor fails to show up or a different prop falls to pieces.

The James Song will never be finished.

But I am still a rockstar in my car...as much as you can be in a soccer mom-mobile. Can't help it. My Jeep broke down.

Erica Putis said...

James: Let me know when it's done... I'll be sure to vote for it. It's for American Idol's Video, right??

Steven Novak said...

Shades aren't cool anymore...dork. ;)

Steve~

Erica Putis said...

Steve: Really? So how am I going to look cool when I win an award at the MTV Music Awards when we are inside and Bono is wearing his sunglasses but I can't?

Dan said...

Erica, I think you're totally cool (like me, of course). In fact, you're so cool I'm going to invent a new word to describe the level of coolness you have obtained. It's Cooltinacious.

Hmmmm ... let me think a bit more on this.

Erica Putis said...

Dan: You made a word up just for me?? I feel so special!! I'll use this word but I'm afraid I might not spell it right. :) I won't even be able to google the word to get the right spelling... There's got to be a word that is still rightous in it's own right but easy enough to catch on... Hummmm...

Stewart Sternberg said...

Erica...there's cool. Then there's cool. Now I'm sure some people are going to want me to explain the difference, but if someone has to ask, then it's pointless trying to explain to them.

Cool.

Gregg O'Connell said...

erica: it's like a sword fight in here except fort he fans you stole from me...

Dan said...

Erica, yes you deserve a special word. I'm drawing a blank, though. I think we'll just have to settle for Cool with a capital C (especially when you're wearing that "Wicked Smart" t).

Erica Putis said...

Stewart: You are so profound in your wisdom of coolness not even I can hold a torch to your flame of cool. :)

Gregg: Again you are just jealous I get more comments than you. Go sing into you fist like a good boy...

Dan: How about Coolio. I think Snoop Dog might have used it before but I'm sure he won't mind me riding on his cool coat-tails...

QofD said...

Did I just hear Erica throw down the "I get more comments than you" gauntlet before Gregg?

...let the games begin.

Erica Putis said...

QofD: Haha... I only say that because I know it drive him crazy. I really don't care how many comments I get. Half of them are mine anyway and they are over the course of a week. :)

Gregg and I both know that he is king of the internet. Haha... I say that very sarcastically.

Gregg O'Connell said...

i'll be nice since its christmas!
i won't say anything back!

but you are right i am the king of the internet

russkal said...

Ah... the advent of the ipod. Now everyone can walk the streets while their own music video is playing.

My soundtrack would be Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood", though.

Hey, I just made a special post for a special occasion... and you're in it! Do check it out.

Merry Christmas!

russkal said...

Or maybe Average White Band's "Pick up the Pieces?" A li'l like Danny Ocean, you say?

Hmmm... tough choice.

James Burnett said...

American Idol? No way. I'm going for the big time: America's Got Talent.

Erica Putis said...

Gregg: You are my moral savior.

Russkal: Clint Eastwood song does indeed rock and would serve as a great
music video for you. :)

James: I don't even know what that is... Are you sure it's the big time?? :)

Stewart Sternberg said...

Erica...in the hopes that my coolness won't dim, allow me to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. Here's to continued blogging and dialogue. And of course, more importantly, happiness and peace.

Stewart

Wormbrain said...

I don't wear headphones out in public. Maybe it's a paranoia thing or something.

After reading your post, I feel like I've been missing something all these years.
/runs out to buy headphones.

Erica AP said...

Stewart: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!!

Wormbrain: You are SO missing out!! You could feel like a rockstar so easily - you are just a headphone away. :)

A chuisle said...

i totally do the same thing! and always have the world timed along w/ the music somehow (like the wind in your example). love it. sooo good.

totally agree; lets find the headphones a smurf doll; they deserve it after all this time.

Erica AP said...

A chuisle: Oh shoot!! That would be some cool Smurf with the Bose headphones spinin' a record... Haha...

Terry said...

i love listening to music on my headphones but i bet you that those things hate me like hell since i play them so darn loud they are gonna make me deaf by the time im thirty!!!!

or they kill themselves to relieve the terror that i put them under by (pretending) not to work!!!!

Erica AP said...

Terry: I know!! I want to pump up the volume but I know it's bad for me. But then I'll go to see band play and wear ear plugs...Haha... I'm such a dork!!