Monday, October 31, 2005

Wicked Cool Wicked Witch

So Happy Halloween everyone!! It's so exciting because not only do I not dress up, I don't carve pumpkins, and I don't decorate for this fine holiday! I didn't even go out on Sat in an adult dress up way... But I have definatly eaten my fair share of candy. But that has nothing to do with Halloween... Haha... So I guess I have come to the conclusion that most holidays, including Halloween will never be quite as fun and exciting as it used to be when I was little.

I remember planning for months before Halloween about what I was going to be. My mom would often help me make the costume with her talent for sewing. My favorite costume was when I was an Indian Girl. I had my hair in braids, a cool head band, and had this weird red-brown smock thing that we made from a pattern. I just remember thinking I was so cool and so Indian looking. Haha... Then every year I would have my special pumpkin candy pail I would clutch and swing when I walked at my brothers side.

There were a couple of things that weren't all that great about Halloween though. First off we lived in Vermont so you actually needed your parents to drive you from house to house because they were so far apart from each other, and the other one thing that sucked was a lot different than the other kids in Vermont. My parents wouldn't allow my brother and I to eat artifical colors. So, what that meant was, after we would get home, mom and dad would go through all of candy and throw out about half of it. I would be sooo sad and would try to salvage anything that I could. I remember washing off the colored M&M's (the brown ones were ok) so that it would get to the layer of white below the colored part. Then we could eat it. It was hard work to get to the natural stuff... Haha... But as I got older I thought, "isn't brown a color that probably had artifical colors in it?" But I would never mentioned that to my parents. And guess what's my favorite candy now?? Right - M&M's. All the colors. I love them even more when they are crazy colors. Haha...

So the moral of this story is... Let your kids eat what they want because if you deprive them of something they may go over board when they are older. Sounds like a good idea to me...

Well, again have a wonderful Halloween and eat some colored M&M's for me.

Erica

5 comments:

Gregg O'Connell said...

halloween is one of those holidays that the lord has bestowed our hands on and we do what we need to do with it.

your parents sound crazy with the artifical colors but all parents are crazy in some way..true dat?

Gregg

Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

zdenekfransiscojanda said...

right you love updaters, look at you bloggin like a nigga

zdenek55 said...

oh, you're my biggest I mean my only fan....if you leave the predicates, then what's left???

Erica Putis said...

Z-

I am your fan but not your only one...

If I leave Gregg is left of The Predicates. You know all he needs is himself... Haha... Are you going to sell your artwork?

Erica